Basic Theory Test
Passing your Basic Theory Test is the first step in getting your driving license in Singapore.
Specifically we are referring to motor cars Class 3 / 3A / 3C / 3CA.
To make things simpler, regardless of any type of Class 3 you will have to clear your Basic Theory Test and Final Theory Test thought your Practical Driving Test differs in terms of the requirements of the type of Class 3 license you are taking.
Whether you are going for Manual or Auto (Class 3 / 3A / 3C / 3CA licenses), the Basic Theory Test (Exam) is held in various driving schools.
Note: You can sign up as a school student for your basic theory test at CDC even if you intend to work with private driving instructors later. In fact we recommend you to sign up with the school when you are preparing for your Basic Theory Test.
As a student, you can take more mock (simulated) basic theory test tests 2-3 hours before the actual exam. This will greatly help you in clearing your Basic Theory Test.
What to cover / learn in Basic Theory Test / Exam?
We highly recommend you buy the Basic Theory of Driving – The Official Handbook from the school ( it comes as a package with the Final Theory Test handbook) when you book for your Basic Theory Test.
- Introduction to driving (in Singapore), different classes of driving licenses
- Singapore Road Signs and Signals (you literally need to memorise all these)
- Singapore Traffic Rules and Regulations (again just pure memorisation)
- Code of Conduct on the road
- Parts and Control of A Car (Basic)
And other nitty gritty details which we will not cover here.
Once you clear your Basic Theory Test (you will get your results on the spot with a print out), your Basic Theory Test “Pass Results” stays with you for life.
This means, you can proceed to do the next 2 steps (together if you want)
1. Get a Provisional Driving License (PDL) – this allows you to learn practical lessons on the roads with a certified driving instructor. Without this PDL, you cannot book for your driving lessons
2. Book your Final Theory Test date. You definitely need to clear your Basic Theory Test Date before booking for your Final Theory Test Date.
We will help you clear your Basic Theory Test (BTT) with ease.